I’m a person with a lot of feelings – so many feelings that I have a hard time just existing sometimes. So as a little bit of a defense mechanism I tend to go into a lock down mode. No feelings. No tears. Nothing gets out of here, nope.
But one of my favorite things about getting older is being okay with feelings. They all have a purpose. They all teach us things. For me, music is a way to get at the heart of those things. I’ve been playing piano and singing and dancing since scrunchies were cool the first time. So here’s a playlist that makes me feel all the things – because life can be great and you can still need to cry and reminisce and let the feels come. (Links included for those with music videos).
You can listen to this playlist on Spotify here.
25. Meant – Zach Winters
24. Black Beauty – Lana Del Ray (let’s be real pretty much all of her music can get at my feelings)
23. All I Want – Kodaline (I’ll be honest – its feature in the Fault in our Stars is a big part of this song’s feels for me)
22. Holocene – Bon Iver
21. In My Life – The Beatles
20. Wild Horses – The Rolling Stones
19. Stay – Rihanna, Mikky Ekko
17. Colour Me In – Damien Rice
16. I Will Follow You Into the Dark – Death Cab for Cutie
15. All Again – Ella Henderson
14. Don’t Forget – Good Old War (This particular song got me through a amicable, but absolutely gut wrenching breakup that lasted months)
13. Down in the Valley – The Head and the Heart (This song has been played so much but I still get all of the feels from it. I REALLY do wish I was a slave to an age old trade).
12. Each Coming Night – Iron & Wine
11. Babe I’m Gonna Leave You – Led Zeppelin
10. Liability – Lorde
9. Cleopatra – The Lumineers
Bulletproof Weeks – Matt Nathanson
8. I Need My Girl – The National
6. As We Are Now – Saint Raymond
5. Gone Away – Lucy Schwartz
4. This Time – Jonathan Rhys Meyers
3. Stars – Grace Potter & The Nocturnals
2. Simple Man – Lynyrd Skynyrd (Save it – I love this song and I will NOT be dissuaded)
1. Every Time I Hear that Song – Brandi Carlile
And don’t worry – I’ll follow up tomorrow with something to help you smile, I pinky promise!